Saturday, May 17, 2008

My hero


This is our first host mom in site, Angela.  On the end of her stick is the scorpion that stung me.  Lee was not there at the time but some of the kids were on the porch and I was taking a shower.  I grabbed my towel without looking at it and a scorpion stung me.  When I pulled the towel away it dropped off and ran out of the shower.  I asked the kids where the scorpions make their homes and the came right back there with machetes cutting back the grass to look for him.  They could not find him but over the next couple of hours 4 or 5 different people from the community visited me and brought me the herbal remedies that they use.  Oh, and they sat with me for the first 3o minutes or so after the sting because that is when you find out if you are going to get violently ill or not.  We have 2 main types of scorpions in our site and I was pretty sure it was not the bad one but since nobody got a good look at it they wanted to make sure.  When Angela came by to check on me she asked where it had happened I took her back there and showed her and she said, "Sometimes they get right under here" as she grabbed a stick and started poking.  After about 4 jabs she came up with a scorpion on the end of her stick and asked if that was it.  That was it indeed.  I took a picture and that is the day she became my hero.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a hero there. Tell Angela we said thanks for all she does for you guys. She is a really sweet lady and I am glad we got to meet her. Momma

Tony & Susan said...

yikes!! so did you have any affects from it at all?

the babies LOVED thier onesies!! claire said thank you so much for the pink. jonah said he loves green! they said thank you for putting SO much thought into it!! you'll see pics soon!

love you!!

Kari said...

I'm going to get Chana a letter as soon as I have time to sit down and write one out. E-mail and cell phones have me spoiled. I'm so glad you guys have someone to look after you, especially when you're by yourself. Love you both and hope to see you in 6 months or so!

Trey and Stephanie said...

wow..that is not cool! These are stories you can tell your future children thuogh, how mommy got stung by a potentially deadly aminal while showering in a 3rd world country! That is something I will never be able to say! Very glad that it wasnt the killer one! Did you get terribly sick though? Hope you guys are being safe and having fun. We keep yall in our thoughts.

Kari said...

Oh, by the way, I have a blogspot now, too. There's nothing important on it yet, since I haven't left for school yet. Won't be too much longer though!