Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Making things for horses



Just about everyone in our site has horses. The other day our host family made a couple of the blanket things that go under the sadle. Here are pictures. They had that grass drying for a few days. Then they built that frame and were able to make 2 or 3 blankets that morning. Rigoberto, the oldest son (16 or 17) is on the left and Severiano (the dad) is on the right. When he saw that we had the camera he ran and grabbed his hat. He has awesome hair that is permanently in a doo wop loop, like he should be wearing a pastel suit and be leaning into the microphone singing Earth Angel.
Speaking of that, they asked us to help with the microphone (battery powered) that the church bought a few weeks ago. For some reason the instructions were only in English. Has anyone out there ever gotten instructions for anything electronic in fewer than 5 languages? So we helped them. I think I was the first to talk into it to see if it was working. I was excited that it worked so I held it up to Chana to say something into it, then Lee, Roge, Rigo, Mariella, and finally Severiano. Everyone pretty much said buenos dias, buenos buenos, or some version of that. When I held it up to Severiano, he switched into professional radio personality and said, ¨Good evening everyone. The problem has been resolved and the microphone is now working.¨ It was priceless. The instructions to there generator are also only in English. We are going to get the booklet sometime and translate it for them so they will have it when they need it whether we are there or not.

5 comments:

Tony and Susan said...

that's a great story from a foreign country! jonah and claire got their gifts today and LOVED them! they can't wait until they can wear them. they were a very special gift!

Tony and Susan said...

ps. love you!

Tammy said...

Hey Lee & Lisa! I'm glad I found your blog. It's so great to see what you are up to. It looks like everything is going well. We would love to send a care package to you. Please let us know what items would be good to put in it for you and the people in your community. I'm sure Westwood would go crazy trying to find all the goodies. I'll try to get in touch with Tony & Susan also and hopefully thay can give me information. My email is tammysimply@gmail.com if you get a chance to let me know.
God bless!
Tammy Matthews

Amber said...

Hi! I got your card on Friday, and it was so sweet. I'm glad to hear everything is going well. I miss you so much, and I look forward to updates from your adventures. Please let me know if you guys need anything! I love you, best friend!

Trey and Stephanie said...

I really have enjoyed reading your blog. Im so glad i saw it on susans page, ( this is stephanie, susan's friend) incase you didnt remember me. I hope its ok that i commented on your page. It is great. I hope that you didnt have to ride a horse for 2 hours and walk for 5 more to post this...i have heard that it is quite a hike into town...how far to the nearest walmart or red lobster...?